With the increasing number of cases reported on SMS Phishing, it is essential that you are aware of the financial loss that it could cause.
In SMS Phishing, the fraudster tricks you into disclosing your sensitive financial or personal information such as PIN number / account password. The same is then used to compromise your bank account.
How the scam works:
- You will receive an SMS which directs you to visit a website or call a specified phone number.
- If you visit the suggested website or call the specified phone number, you could be asked to share sensitive banking / financial information. The website may attempt to install malware on your phone which allow the hacker to get access to this sensitive information by tracking your keystrokes.
Prevent falling victim to SMS Phishing:
- Do not reply to suspicious texts or click on unverified links. If the SMS purports to be sent by your bank, please call the bank to verify the authenticity of the message.
- Do not log on to any suggested website in the SMS.
- Exercise discretion and judgment in installing apps on your smart phone.
What to do if you have fallen prey to SMS Phishing:
- Change your login and transaction passwords immediately.
- Call our 24-hour Phone Banking at 18602666601# and notify them about the incident.
- If your phone has been compromised through a malware, get the malware removed. If in doubt, format all data.
#Customers outside India need to dial +91 22 6601 6601. Customers in Mumbai can also call at +91 22 6601 6601. Call charges apply.